Sure, our go-to outfit is the trusty jeans and tee. But when the occasion calls for us to look sharp, we will reach to the back of our closet and pull out a suit. No other outfit can make a guy look as put together the way a suit does. However, despite its simplicity, many guys make minute mistakes that make them go from smart to sloppy.
OHHMYBOX points out the 5 most common mistakes so that you can avoid this pitfalls, execute the suit perfectly and make Barney Stinson proud.
1) Exposed White Undershirt – Letting the white undershirt be seen above the dress shirt will definitely make you look unkempt no matter how good the rest of your coordinate is. It gives off a whiff of a college guy, still deciphering how to act like an adult.
2) Giant’s Jackets – While we are used to getting clothes that are a tad too big when we were younger, that rule of thumb no longer apply. Puberty is over, the hormones have settled and this is as tall as you’ll ever be. Wearing jackets that are too long will not make you any taller, on the contrary, it might make you look shorter. Let the jacket hem fall where your fingertips end, or a little shorter if you’ll like the illusion of longer legs.
3) Focusing on the Extras instead of the Hero – Tie clips and pocket squares are accessories that only a true gentleman deserves. One has to master the basics first, which compromises of a solid-fitting suit and shirt, in a killer color combination.
4) Peek-A-Boo Tie – Another guaranteed way to look sloppy. Either your tie is too big or your collar is too small, regardless, rectify the error and you’ll look sharp.
5) Curry Puff Pants – Not only are they out of fashion at the moment, pants with cuffs are also the death sentence for petite guys as they visually shorten the legs. The cuffs also tend to flop around more which look utterly unsightly.
Now you’re all set to impress, and you can thank us later.